1st July, The Star, Dorking.
A different crowd (slightly) and a different mix of tunes (loosely speaking)
These vinyl open mic nights, as I call them seem to be trending towards players playing more than one track off an album. I think that's cheating a bit, but there was some good stuff.
Part of the fun of it being open mic is you can play what you want, but I think you should be gauging the crowd a bit more, like any dj. I saw a fair few badly hidden "WTF" expresssions on peoples' faces tonight. My own came during the first "solo" in the Sepultura track. Very Bill and Ted, I thought.
But hey, sometimes you chance something and it doesn't come off. OTOH, it's nice when someone comes up to you and says "what was that?" Assuming they mean it in a good way. Maybe somebody thought that about Sepultura.
Here's tonight's list, which is missing a few because we turned up a bit late. My selections are marked *
- Scissor Sisters. Sorry, I failed to get this track name. it was a white sleeve with the black scissors logo. (Can't find it on Amazon or Spotify. Geof, can you help out?)
- Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Bush With The Blues by Jeff Beck from Performing This Week…Live At Ronnie Scott'.
- * The Light Pours Out of Me by Magazine, from Real Life.??
- Lady by Free, from The Free Story (What was the original album?)
- Rooms on Fire by Stevie Nicks (7")
- Sister Sneaker, Sister Soul by My Latest Novel from Wolves
- Sploosh by Ozric Tentacles (12")
- We are Your Friends by Justice vs. Simian (12")
- Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
- Shake Your Money Maker by Fleetwood Mac from Fleetwood Mac
- * Some Candy Talking by Jesus and Mary Chain (12")
- My Back Pages, by Bob Dylan from Another Side of Bob Dylan
- Heartache Tonight by The Eagles (7")
- This is England by The Clash from Cut The Crap
- Cloud 8 by Frazier Chorus from Ray
- The Moebius by Orbital (12")
- Nothing Compares 2U by Sinead O'Connor from Now That's… compilation
- There She Goes by The LA's from Now That's…
- Behind the Veil by Jeff Beck from Performing This Week…Live At Ronnie Scott's
- * Battle of Evermore by Page Plant from No Quarter.
- Superstition by Stevie Wonder from Talking Book.
- Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan (7")
- A Little Respect by Erasure from (oh I dunno, The Very Best of…)
- Desperat Cry by Sepultura from Arise (Maybe, could have been the 3rd track on side two. Who can tell..)
- Theme from "Cheers" by The Monitor from Titus Andronicus
- Live Throbb by Ozric Tentacles (12")
Almost all on the Spotify Playlist, amazingly. A couple of cheats, only
Star Vinyl Open Mic 20100630
I've created a Spotify playlist from Wednesday's sesh at The Star in Dorking. The Star 20100602
I think the opening Wham was ironic. The new Jeff Beck had a terrific sound, My choices were Iggy, T Heads, Tom Waits, Teenage Fanclub.
Not very many missing pieces, some surprising, I've substituted The Byrds version of Chimes of Freedom. Humble Pie Black Coffee not there, nor Nick Cave's version of Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart from the excellent Kicking against the Pricks (one of mine). Perhaps not so surprsing absences from a collectors' double Skunk Anansie LP that had a dance/metal remix thing. Also a double 12" from The Damned Is it a Dream (?), with a rousing version of Pretty Vacant.
I'm not aware of anywhere else that does this, and thought it would be fun to document. Works better if you have Spotify, of course!